Winner of the Derbyshire County Council Excellence in the Community Award
Who are we and what do we do?
Here are a few interesting facts about us as a society
- Established in 1979 and open to all who wish to help improve Bolsover.
- Monitor planning applications and developments within the town.
- Working alongside Old Bolsover Town Council, Bolsover District Council and Derbyshire County Council we actively seek funding opportunities for projects which will improve Bolsover for residents and visitors
- Organises an annual programme of visits and talks throughout the year.
- Periodically exhibits old photographs and archives of the town taken from its extensive collection.
- Monitor planning applications, resulting in major changes to the design briefs for the proposed Sherwood Lodge site shopping development and the former Coalite site plans
We have funded projects such as:
- The restoration of the Market Place village pump
- The former congregational Chapel stained glass window
- The Smithson Memorial stone in the Parish Church
- Provide Funding towards Bolsover in Bloom
- Installation of Bolsover Cairns
- The restoration of the lych gate at the Parish Church
- Our ‘Signing the Town’ project with Old Bolsover Town Council achieved new town signage,a conservation ‘Blue Plaque’ scheme, heritage information boards and new printed and electronic Town Trails
- Our ‘Back Hills Restoration’ project with Old Bolsover Town Council restored the Back Hills magnesian limestone escarpment with new pathways, steps, seating, interpretation boards and one of the conduit houses to Bolsover castle
- Refurbishment of the former pit wheel to Bolsover colliery, coal truck and rails
Promotes history of the town
We use publications such as the Town Trail and the New Bolsover Village Trail as well as Guided walks by members of the Civic Society for groups of visitors to Bolsover.
These can be arranged by contacting us using the contact form here.
Bolsover Civic Society list of Officers:
Chairman: John Gillies
Vice Chairman: Les Coulton
Treasurer: Les Coulton
Secretary: Bernard Haigh
Programme Secretaries: Josh Ludlam & Sarah Bennett